Sleep Less

I should have gone to sleep
I should have gone to sleep
because now I'm lying
in a heap of self pity
lying about my heap
of self pity
trying to get some sleep
but sleep doesn't come.

Don't pity me because I envy you
As you envy the world
the same world that
spat you out
for everyone
to see

The world is
pressing me and
pushing me and
choking me out
but i have come too
far to
give up this
or that
easily

Of course this world of
mine I could leave
behind
but don't talk about things that can never be.

Passengers stand in queues
and seem okay before
they open their traps
and spray how they want
people to be
without realising
the irony

As I stay
awake at night
thinking about nights past
I know more than
you think and
that would be alright if
I could just get some sleep
and in the morning
pay my dues
in the morning take my dues
and bang them out
in a line
one by one.

Instead regret is a cold palm
to the back of the head
poking its fingers
inside.

I should get some sleep
or make an attempt
or take self contempt
and put it away for tomorrow
because I've been up all night
I've been up alright
I've been up
and down
today.

No comments:

Post a Comment